How do I choose a counsellor? What is the difference between RCC, CCC and other certified counsellors?

There are no regulations around using the word ‘counsellor.’

A counsellor with a M.Ed. or M.A. has a Masters Degree, which takes an additional 2-or-more years after attaining a 4-year Bachelor’s Degree. Masters’ Programs include lengthy practicums supervised by experienced counsellors with strict educational requirements.

Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCC’s) are registered with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC). BCACC is a professional body that verifies a counsellor’s level of education (minimum Masters’ Degree in Counselling, related field or Social Work), ensures the Counsellor has course work in key areas of study including ethics, and conducts a criminal record check prior to allowing the Counsellor to register as a Member.

Canadian Certified Counsellors (CCC) are certified through the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association and have similar requirements and guidelines to RCC’s.

Other counsellor certifications can vary greatly. You have a right to ask your prospective counsellor questions in order to find out more about them and their background. This will help you determine if they are a good fit for you.

Category: FAQs

← FAQs

Registered Clinical Counsellor in Maple Ridge, British Columbia